Thursday 27 June 2013

Cute Condo Sign

I noticed this sign stuck up on the bulletin boards in my condo's lifts. Although, it's only a short sentence, I still felt it was cute and creative enough to share with my readers.

First, let's break it down into the individual words.

สงสาร (song-saan): to feel pity
นู๋ (nuu): pronoun used to describe small children [the proper spelling is in fact หนู]
เถอะ (ter): informal particle used to indicate a command
อย่า (yaa): don't do something
หมุน (mun): to rotate
เล่น (leen): to play

From this, we can see what the sign actually means:

Please have pity on me. Don't rotate me for fun.

But what's it actually referring to? The rabbit with the pleading eyes? No, it's in fact talking about the small screw that's next to the rabbit's head! Apparently people in the condo got bored and started fiddling with the screws holding up the noticeboards in the lifts. This is the owner's creative way of asking people to please just leave them alone. I was quite amused, as it shows how the Thais can be very cute in their methods.


No comments:

Post a Comment